Friday, July 18, 2014

Lin would like to model Kobe/Nash in terms of consistency and longetivity


Jeremy Lin's interview in China: He talks about Lakers, playing with Kobe & Nash, and more.

Q: What were you doing before you got traded to the Lakers, how did you feel? 
Jeremy: I wasn't sure if I will change team. I just continued to train. My goal stayed the same.

Q: How did you find out about getting picked up by the Lakers? How did you feel when you found out this news?
Jeremy: I was in Beijing. I was sleeping, and then the phone rang in my hotel room. My agent told me I was traded to Los Angeles. I was so excited that I woke up my mom, sister-in law, and brothers, and told them about it (at 2am according to another source). And then I immediately arranged to fly to Los Angeles, completed my physical, and signed contract. Then back Shanghai to continue the event.


Q: Before the transaction, the Rockets already wanted to get rid of you for Anthony, were you hurt by that? 
Jeremy: I wasn't hurt particularly. I think they did not particularly value me, I wasn't very angry. I didn't lose sleep or feel like I didn't sleep well at all. After I heard it, I just said OK. 

Q: Since Lakers head coach position has not been determined, what role do you think you will play on the team?? What are your expectations for yourself? 
Jeremy: It's difficult to say at the moment because the Lakers are still signing new players, and they are uncertain about the coaching position. My own goal is to continue training, hoping my next year will out-perform this year. I might be getting more playing time, so I hope that I can strengthen my basketball skills this summer. 

Q: Which specific areas? 
Jeremy Lin: Pretty much same as last year: strengthen my three-point shooting %. I am gonna also work on my floaters this year. Most NBA point guards in the league have a good floater. 

Q: You mentioned not knowing who the head coach will be. Out of all the coaches in the league... who do you wish to coach the Lakers? or in other words... which coach do you like? 
Jeremy: As of now...I do not know, because I younger(than a lot of players), I really don't know. My favorite is of course is D'Antoni, but I currently do not know which other coaches Lakers are looking at.

Q: Lets talk about Lakers. Talking about the Lakers, we'll definitely mention Kobe. You scored 38 points against the Lakers, then something interesting happened between you and Kobe. The media asked Kobe if he knew who you were...was this experience pretty interesting for you now that you think about it?
Jeremy Lin: kinda funny, but like I said, Kobe has treated me well everytime he sees me, I think we really have a good opportunity. 

Q: Do you think you guys will have some good chemistry and have a good partnership next season? 
Jeremy Lin: Yes, he is NBA all-star. He is the best when healthy, so I can learn from him. It's a very good opportunity. 

Q: Do you look forward working with Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash? 
Jeremy Lin: Very much so. because I know both of them ...their NBA careers. They are very good players and I hope after playing with them I can learn a lot from them. I hope I can be like Nash... be more well rounded. Also, I can learn how to win from Kobe. I think I've never won a lot of games in the NBA... playoff at best. But he has 5 titles, so I can learn a lot.

Q: Kobe is very strict and demanding of his teammates, do you feel the pressure? 
Jeremy: I heard that he doesn not like lazy players, I do not think I am lazy. So I hope we can fit well. 

Q: A lot people say it's lucky to be able to play with Kobe, and other also say its a challenge. How do you see it? 
Jeremy: I think this is a good opportunity to learn a lot. Of course I am very happy. I think to win a championship, every team certainly has to have its own unique character. Kobe as well. 

Q: With your current understanding about Lakers, do you think you will be starting next season? 
Jeremy: That's coach's decision. After the New York experience, I've never felt like I was a bench player or a starter. I just continue to train, of course, I want to be a starter.

Q: Do you think the playoffs is the bottom line? 
Jeremy: It is a goal. I hope to get in (the playoff). 

Q: What aspects do you think Nash will be able to help you on with? 
Jeremy Lin: every aspect. I know he is very intelligent. Nash's basketball skill is up there. He can teach me a lot. He can teach me how to pass, he show me his thought process. Also I heard he eats very healthy & has a healthy life style, so he recovers faster. He also can play longer periods, so I hope to learn a lot. 

Q: Do you think you will reach the highest expectations?
Jeremy: I do not know, because we are unsure about the people. So I do not know who my teammates are, it is difficult to predict what happens next year, but I hope I can stay in Los Angeles. But perhaps I'll be traded to another team. 

Q: Do you worry about what will happens next because of the frequent team change? 
Jeremy: I hope to stay stay in a team for a long time, but we'll see the situation at Lakers.

Q: Any chance to fulfill your dreams in the NBA with the Lakers next season? 
Jeremy: I hope. Every day in the NBA is my dream.

Q: You mentioned on weibo (Chinese social site) these few years, things have not gone not as you imagined. How different are they?
Jeremy Lin: Many aspects. I thought things would change at Rockets. I thought my points, basketball skill will improve. I thought I would play more, I thought I would be more consistent. There are a lot of surprises that when I arrived in Rockets, and I thought it would be like something else, but it did not ended up the way I anticipated. I also did not know I would be joining the Lakers. 

Q: We know that you made huge progress on your Chinese. What is your motivation for you to study Chinese this hard? 
Jeremy: I was small, not so mature, my parents told me to learn Chinese, Chinese is very important, but I did not listen to them. So (now) every week I go to Chinese school and study really hard. Knowing my Chinese is terrible, I took a Chinese Chinese classes at Harvard for more than a year. After joining NBA, I would also need translator whenever I visit China... I would then be more serious to learn Chinese, and I should learn, now is a good opportunity to 

ask: What did you gain the most with the time you spent with Rockets?
Jeremy Lin: I feel became more versatile ...a more well-rounded player. I improved my three-point shot percentage. Since every game in New York I was handling the ball most of the time... arriving in Rockets I need to learn to cut... learning using left hand... I've become a better player. But now if you only look at my stats, you will not be able to see not see my progress. 

Q: Your thoughts on future of NBA industry?
Jeremy: I know China is very ...NBA... is very important, China is loves basketball, the fans here are very passionate. And I also hope that the mainland would be better basketball skills, progress every year. Then hope we can see a lot of Chinese people in the NBA inside. Therefore, I will come back every summer.

source  (translation by @supjackjack)

No comments:

Post a Comment